HOW TO CLAIM
We understand the struggles that come along with filing your claims. We are here to fully support your medical care process without causing any extra burden, which is why we promise to make this process simple, convenient and painless for you.
Below you will find all the information you will need to file claims, appeals, and to check your claim statuses.
*A network is a group of health care providers and facilities that have a contract with UnitedHealthcare. You can receive care and services from anyone in or out of our network, but you save money when you use the national network.
Visiting an in network hospital or doctor
If you plan to visit an in-network hospital or doctor, please bring your insurance card to the hospital or doctor with you for your appointment. Medical care institutions will contact and send your bills to United Healthcare directly. You do not need to submit a claim after your visit.
Submit a claim for visiting an out of network doctor or hospital [DL4]
If you plan to visit an out-network hospital or doctor, you may need to pay the bill by yourself first, and then send documents to UnitedHealthcare to file a claim within 90 days of your medical appointment.
There are three documents you need to send to United Healthcare:
- Itemized Bill – you can get this from your school health center/hospital/doctor
- Make sure all bills or itemized receipts indicate:
- A diagnosis code
- Procedure code
- Date of service
- The provider’s tax ID number.
- Proof of Payment – An evidence that shows you have already paid for the medical care service
- Paid by card – Please provide a bank statement that includes your personal information and the medical institution information
- Paid by student account directly (visited your school health center)
- Paid through student account – please provide a screen shot of your student account billing activity (without outstanding balance)
- Paid by card in your student account – please provide a screen shot of your student account billing activity (without outstanding balance) and a bank statement that includes your personal information and the medical institution information
- Paid by cash – You only need to provide the recipe or the school account statement after the payment.
- Paid by check – You need to provide the scanned copy or digital version of both side of your check.
- Other payment types – Please contact our representatives to get further support.
- Insurance Card (Download from www.UHCSR.com)
Submit claims to UHCSR
Please submit the three documents mentioned before to UHCSR through either of the following ways:
- VIA MAIL:
UnitedHealthcare Student Resources
P.O. Box 809025
Dallas, TX 75380-9025
When sending claim information: Clip, do not staple, all bills to the completed form.
Attention to Claims Department
File an Appeal
To file an appeal, please include the following information:
A letter requesting an appeal to your claim(s), including your:
UnitedHealthcare Student ID number
Date of service for your injury/sickness
Claim number(s) (located on the top of your Explanation of Benefits)
- A copy of your Explanation of Benefits for the claim(s) in question.
- Medical Records including all test results from all providers visited for the specific injury/sickness that you are appealing.
Once we receive the documentation, your appeal will be reviewed and a written response will be mailed to you. The response will include what the findings were if the appeal was approved or denied, and the reason for the final decision.
Check Claim Status
If you are a student and would like to check on the status of a claim that you or a provider submitted, you will need to set up a MyAccount if you have not done so already.
Please visit our My Account Center to log in to an existing account or to create a new one.